I recently picked up Muse’s new album titled “Black Holes and Revelations” and I am hooked. I have to admit that when I first started listening to the album, I thought it was a little eccentric and not that great but as with the previous Muse albums, I took my time to disect the melodies, harmonies (shut up, 10 years of piano will do this to a man) and lyrics. With a quick listen, you would entirely miss out the message of the album, the complex rhythms, and various allusions to space (hence the title of the album.) After listening carefully and reading the lyrics in the booklet, I am amazed at the intensity and fervor of the band members towards the war in Iraq and other current events. The message of the album is astonishing and just what we need in a time of war and ignorance. I’m going to break down the album by songs and give a preview of their lyrics.
1) Take a Bow: “Corrupt. You corrupt & bring corruption to all that you touch…Spell. Cast a spell. Cast a spell on the country you run. And risk. You will risk. You will risk all their lives and their souls. And burn. You will burn. You will burn in hell. You will burn in hell for your sins…And beg. You will beg. You will beg for their lives and their souls.“
WHOA. That shit’s kinda intense, to say the least. Dedication to the current administration, anyone? I wonder how Mr. Blair and Mr. Bush feel about this song.
2) Starlight: “This ship has taken me far away. Far away from the memories of the people who care if I live or die. I will be chasing a starlight until the end of my life. I don’t know if it’s worth it anymore. Hold you in my arms. I just wanted to hold you in my arms. You electrify my life. Let’s conspire to ignight all the souls that would die just to feel alive. I’ll never let you go if you promise not to fade away. Never fade away.”
From the perspective of a soldier. This song has a happy tune but a sad meaning behind it.
3) Supermassive Black Hole: “…Glaciers melting in the dead of nightand superstars sucked into the super-massive. I thought I was a fool for no one. Ohhh baby I’m a fool for you. You’re the queen of the superficial. Holw long before you tell the truth?“
This is one of the few songs on the album that doesn’t deal with politics but I love it. It makes me want to dance but the lyrics are angry and bitter. I’m sure we’ve all encountered a “queen of superficial” some time in our lives.
4) Map of the Problematique: “Fear and panic in the air. I want to be free. From desolation and despair. And I feel like everything I saw is being swept away. Well I refuse to let you go. I can’t get it right since I met you. Lonliness be over. When will this loneliness be over? Life will flash before my eyes so scattered and lost. I want to touch the other side. No one thinks they are to blame. Why can’t we see that when we bleed, we bleed the same?“
I love love love this song. It’s a high energy dance song but it also provides the perspective of the people that we are fighting over in Iraq. “Why can’t we see that when we bleed, we bleed the same?” Words to live by.
5) Soldiers Poem: “Throw it all away. Let’s lose ourselves because there’s no one left for us to blame. It’s a shame we’re all dying and do you think you deserve your freedom? How could you send us so far away from home when you know damn well that this is wrong. I will still lay down my life for you and do you think you deserve your freedom? No, I don’t think you do. There’s no justice in the world and there never was.“
What a sad song…It isn’t fair that our leaders are sending men to their deaths to do their dirty work.
6) Invincible: “Follow through. Make your dreams come true. Don’t give up the fight. You will be alright because there’s no one like you in the universe. Don’t be afarid of what your mind conceves. You should make a stand. Stand up for what you believe and tonight we can truly say ‘Together we’re invincible.’ During the struggle they will pull us down but please, please let’s use this chance to turn things around.“
7) Assassin: “War is overdue. The time has come for you to shoot your leaders down. Join forces underground. Lose control. Increasing pace warped and bewitched. Time to erase whatever they say. These people are torn, wild and bereft. Assassin is born. Aim, shoot, kill your leaders. Oppose and disagree. Destroy deomonocracy.“
Whoa. OK there, Muse. I would never wish to see anyone assassinated, no matter how vile they are but I argree that we should stand up to them and not be afraid. Perhaps they use the words “aim,” “shoot,” and “kill” figeratively.
8) Exo-Politics: “Open the skies over me. I am waiting patiently. I’ll wait for a sing as conspiracies unwind. Will you slam shut or free your mind? Or stay hypnotized. When the Zetas fill the skies will our leaders tell us shy? Fully loaded satellites will conquer nothing but our minds.“
More allusions to space and a good message to keep our guards up and to not take everything at face value.
9) City of Delusion: “Stay away from me. Build a fortress and shield your beliefs. Touch the divine as we fall in line. Can I believe when I don’t trust? All your theores turn to dust. I choose to hide from the All Seeing Eye. Destroy this city of delusion and break these walls down. And I will avenge and justify my reasons with your blood.“
11) Knights of Cydonia: “Come ride with me through the veins of history. I’ll show you a god who falls asleep on the job. How can we win when foold can be kings? Don’t waste your time or time will waste you. No one’s going to take me alive. The time has come to make thins right. You and I must fight for our rights. You and I must fight to survive. No one’s going to take me alive.“
A very fitting conclusion to the entire album. I hope that their album helps to raise global awareness. I LOVE MUSE.
P.S. My wisdom teeth are growing in and they hurt like hell.